The Cannon Family
Built by John McDonnell for his wife in 1845, this English Gothic Plantation was purchased in 1851, by William and Jane Shipp Cannon who named her Glencannon. With over 1000 acres surrounding the property, the Cannon's had a boasting Cotton Plantation and enjoyed a prosperous life with their four children. Yet troubled times were not foreseen when Union Forces landed in Natchez, Mississippi, on July 13, 1863, just nine days after the Siege of Vicksburg. Life for this prominate family was changed forever - as told through the lens of the Cannon's 15 year old daughter in the remarkable Diary of Lucy A. Cannon.